Study abroad

As a student at Umeå Institute of Design there are several possibilities to experience exchange studies at another school. Below is a brief overview of what applies.

Where to go?

To all schools which have an existing agreement with Umeå Institute of Design or Umeå University. The agreements differ when it comes to, for example, rules and deadlines depending on if they are administered on a central-, faculty- or institutional level. They also differ depending on which type (for example Erasmus + and Nordplus). Read carefully about the different types of agreements, and who to contact in the different cases.

University-wide information on studying abroad is administered by the International Office at Umeå University.

The Faculty of Science and Technology administers specific agreements on exchange studies.

Umeå Institute of Design also has individual active exchange agreements with a number of universities.

Who can go on an exchange?

Anyone who is admitted to a program (Bachelor or Master) and will have completed at least 60 ECTS credits at the study programme by the time when the student would be leaving UID can do an exchange. Other rules apply for central agreements. An important condition is that the exchange courses you want to attend are equivalent to the courses at your programme. Your programme director is the one that approves the courses.

When can I go on exchange?

UID students have the possibility to do an exchange during fall term (BFA term 5 and MFA term 3).

Process - departmental agreements

If you are interested in doing an exchange, you must apply to the international coordinator at Umeå Institute of Design. It is your responsibility to do the following before sending in the application:

  • Decide where you would like to go by studying the different schools UID has agreement with and which courses do they offer. The International Coordinator can guide you in the process and help you get in touch with international coordinators at other schools.
  • Discuss with your programme director at UID and prepare a "learning agreement" to ensure that you can transfer the credits after the exchange
  • Investigate the practical questions like housing, scholarships etc.

How to apply:

Send your motivation letter to the international coordinator (, list which school(s) you would like to do an exchange at and why. You can list more than one school - in that case you have to rank the schools.

What we look at:

  • If you will have completed the minimum amount of credits at UID
  • Your study progress at UID
  • Your motivation to do exchange studies

Deadline for application is February 1.